Resentment, can't live with it.....can you live without it



Recently I made a commitment to give up all resentment , past present and future. I'm not sure what it was that showed me the need for this right now in my life, but I am truly grateful.

It came as a pronouncement of sort, this releasing of resentment. I have been releasing a number of things in my life of late. I feel I was guided in some way, as I don't feel I can take the credit on this epiphany in my thinking. It amounts to: less resentment more freedom!

In my first day of living with less resentment, I spent it noticing where resentment showed it self. I was amazed at how insidious resentments can be. I noticed old hurts and beliefs that as a matter of habit contained, restrained and prescribed my mobility and actions.

Let me explain..... I was going somewhere, as I headed toward a place previously marked as , "someplace I don't go" I realized, without resentment to tell me why I couldn't go there, be there, I am free to go there. Imagine it!
So simple.... I think not! So sneaky is more accurate. The more I stay present to my habits and beliefs, I am recognizing how some are powerfully influenced by these old beliefs and resentments.

As I think more about this I see resentment,  for me is like a kind of cognitive dissonance.  Example: I was told something about myself. Part of me believes it on some level and part of me says" hell no!" Still another part says, " ok we'll act like it's true, but I'm mad about it!"

When I decided to let go of those beliefs, I realized how much energy was tied up in keeping it all straight, keeping the fire of resentment blazing.

Daily I notice other sneaky ways resentment tries to slip in, and ways that have sat unnoticed and are moving into the light. I have been amazed at the sheer bulk of what I have been carrying as I continue to let go.
It brings to mind weight loss before and after pictures, in the back of magazines. I wonder what a before and after resentment-loss photo might look like?

Comments

Popular Posts